To be honest people have no patience anymore. The concept of putting in effort or taking part in a process before achieving success appears alien to so many these days. Everything must be instant. Instant coffee. Instant messaging. Instant success. Instant Websites. Weight loss is a perfect example of how otherwise clever people can be duped into thinking they can lose great amounts of weight instantly – and without very much effort as an added bonus. There are advertisements which claim you can instantly/rapidly lose weight simply by reading their book or downloading their app. If you paused to think about it logically, the only outcome from consuming these products would be having a new book read and a new app on your phone. Any weight lost? None. Nothing. Zero. Zilch. Reading books or downloading apps will not lose you an ounce of weight. Eating less and moving more is the only guaranteed way of losing weight. It takes effort and you must commit to the process. The process goes something like this-
· You have a wedding in a months’ time so you are motivated.
· You read the books and download the app so you are informed.
· You eat less and move more so you convert the information into action.
· You lose a stone just in time for the wedding so you achieve success.
· You have the stone put back on again a month later so you review.
When you think about it, losing weight and being a parent are quite similar in terms of process. Here’s how…
· You have your first child and you promise to be the best parent ever – motivated.
· You learn The Baby Whisperer book off by heart – informed.
· You put all the books tips (and none of your own mother’s advice) into action.
· The first couple of years they sleep in their cot and eat whatever you give them – success.
· The next couple of years they will only sleep in your bed and they live on cereal – review (begging for mammy’s advice!!!)
Essentially, parenting is the equivalent to yo-yo dieting. There will be some wonderfully healthy days when you think you have it all figured and you feel great about being a parent – the Diet Coke and salad days. There will be other days when you consider suing Durex for child induced stress and torture – also a Diet Coke and Salad day, except the Diet Coke is mixed with Whiskey and the salad is the topping on your quarter pounder.
The reality is that all parents are yo-yo parents.