Ø WHO CAN BENEFIT FROM THIS SERVICE?
Every parent can benefit from this service however every parent doesn’t need it. I have seldom, if ever, dealt with the exact same issue when contacted by parents. Each case is different and takes on its on life. While some cases can be similar they are always unique, because I am dealing with different groups of people and different set of circumstances on each occasion. Some of the parents who might seek the service include –
· Parents of children of primary and secondary school age
· Parents who need a confidential one to one parenting course in their own home
· # Parents who are not, or do not want to be, involved with social services
· Parents who do not feel comfortable doing a group course
· Parents who are stressed and at the end of their tether because of their child
· Parents seeking guidance in how to prevent poor behaviour
· Parents struggling with their teenager’s behaviour or attitude
· Parents who’s child or teenager is out of control
· Parents of children who self-harm
· Parents who’s child or teenager is showing signs of misbehaviour
· Parents with a teenager refusing to go to school
· Parents who have been court directed to complete a parenting course
· Separating/ separated parents seeking an impartial third party
· Married parents seeking an objective perspective
· Single parents seeking support
· Parents seeking signposting towards other services eg. mental health, drugs
The worst thing to do if you need help is do nothing!!
# While this is a confidential service I am bound by Children First to report any child protection or child welfare concerns I may have.
Ø WHAT DO I DO AFTER DECIDING TO USE THE SERVICE?
· The good news is you have already completed the most difficult part of the process – you have admitted you need support. The next step is to contact me by either phone, email, Facebook or contact form on the site. Most parents like to text first. You text me your details such as name, location, issues or concerns, age of child etc. I will ring you back as soon as possible. During this chat we will examine your situation briefly and decide if my service is for you. In the unlikely event that it’s not, I will point you in the direction of who can help.
A time and date for the first meeting is agreed upon.
Ø THE FIRST MEETING
· The first meeting is the most important. It sets the tone for the remaining meetings. Meetings, while being professional, are structured informally. A cup of tea will be involved and the course is delivered in a user friendly conversational style as opposed to a pupil/teacher one. You will be doing lots of talking and thinking! I will be non-judgmental and impartial at all times. My role is not to assess or grade you as a parent. Blame is never focused on, either of the child or between parents.
Ø WHAT WILL BE COVERED?
· What will be covered will be dictated mainly by the initial meeting as no two situations are ever the same. In general terms we will examine the principle of positive parenting, the causes of behaviour, your influence and role as a parent and what you can do to manage your child or teenager’s behaviour and indeed your own. The whole process is usually completed in between 3 and 5 one hour sessions in your own home.
Ø IS THIS AN APPROVED PARENTING PROGRAMME?
· This programme is recognised globally. It is a fully approved parenting course. I am a fully experienced & qualified Triple P provider since 2008 and am listed here.
Ø DOES IT WORK?
· The answer to this questions depends largely on you as the parent. Doing a parenting course in itself achieves little. It is only by putting in to practice what you have learned that results will become apparent. When speaking with parents I liken this process to weight loss. Positive results are most likely over a consistent period of time, by putting in the effort yourself. There is no silver bullet for either parenting or weight loss.
No other parenting program in the world has an evidence base as extensive as that of Triple P. It is number one on the United Nations’ ranking of parenting programs, based on the extent of its evidence base.
Watch this video clip here to find out more
Ø WHAT DO PARENTS WHO HAVE USED THIS SERVICE THINK?
· Each and every parent has been extremely satisfied with the process and the results.
Remember the Steps:
1. Admit you need parenting support and guidance
2. Contact me to discuss your situation
3. Meet for between 3 & 5 one hour sessions in your own home
4. Feel less stressed & more confident in managing parenting issues